[:en]In honor of October being National Orthodontics Month, your local dentists at Smile Workshop Alamo Ranch wants to take a moment to discuss basics of orthodontic health such as what an orthodontist does, when you or your child should go to see an orthodontist and what to eat while you have braces.
Orthodontics is a highly specialized branch of dentistry that has to do with the straightening and alignment of teeth, usually through the use of braces. Orthodontists are specialized dentists who fix a patient’s crooked, crowded or out-of-place teeth.
When Should You Take Your Child To See An Orthodontist?
Often, it is pretty obvious that you need to see an orthodontist. If you have unevenly spaced teeth, pushed forward or crooked teeth or you or your child has an under or overbite then it’s probably time to see an orthodontist about correcting these problems. Speech and chewing issues also might be the direct result of misaligned or out-of-place teeth. If you’re experiencing jaw pain, teeth grinding or have crowded teeth, it is important to make an appointment with an orthodontist to see about correcting these issues before they worsen. Never try to fix misaligned teeth on your own as there are several permanent and harmful effects of DIY braces.
Bracing For A Diet
Having braces also calls for a modified diet. Preventing damage to the archwires, bands and brackets and keeping your teeth free from decay while you have braces should be your top priority. Many foods can get lodged in, or even damage, braces. Foods you should stay away from include:
- Very sticky or chunky peanut butter
- Hard or sticky candy (such as caramel, taffy, gummy bears or jujubes)
- chips (corn, tortilla or potato)
- Hard taco shells
- Raw veggies like carrots (You can still eat these, just cut them into small pieces and be sure to chew with your back teeth and not your front)
- Corn on the cob (cut the corn off the cob before eating if you are going to eat it.)
- Hard bread such as rolls, French bread or baguettes and chewy bread such as bagels or pizza crust
- Firmer fruits like apples (cut these into pieces)
- Sub sandwiches
Orthodontics is certainly not the painful, costly procedure that some people make it out to be. At Smile Workshop Alamo Ranch, we want all of our patients to be informed about orthodontic health and when it might be time to a consultation. Do you think your children need to see the orthodontist? Give your local dentists at Smile Workshop a call or schedule an appointment today!
Image from Getty Images. Item Number: 1024981608