No one plans to have a toothache or broken tooth, but when these and similar problems happen, you want — and need — top-quality care right away. At Smile Workshop, we offer complete emergency dental care
for patients of all ages. And with 14 locations in DFW, San Antonio and Amarillo it’s a lot easier to get the care you need when you need it from a name you can trust.
What types of problems are dental emergencies?
Many people are confused by what constitutes a dental emergency, often mistakenly and many make the mistake thinking it includes only the most severe problems, like a knocked-out tooth. In fact, there are lots of dental emergencies, some that require immediate care and some that can wait until the next day to be treated. The most common types of dental emergencies include:
- Tooth pain
- Swollen gums
- Cuts and lacerations to your lips or gums
- Broken, chipped tooth or loose tooth or implant
- Broken, damaged or lost veneer, crown or denture
- A tooth that’s knocked out
- Excess pain, sensitivity, swelling or bleeding following a dental treatment
- Object lodged in your teeth
- Jaw-related problems
- Any issue that affects your ability to eat, talk, open or close your mouth
What do I do if I break a tooth?
A broken tooth is at risk for infection and needs prompt treatment. Try to find the fragment of tooth if you can, and bring it with you to Smile Workshop our office. Rinse your mouth with warm water, then apply a cold compress to the affected area your cheek to reduce swelling. Call us immediately for further instructions.
What should I do if a tooth is knocked out?
If the tooth is whole and healthy, it might be able to be replanted — but you need to seek care immediately. Rinse the tooth with water, touching only the crown or top part of the tooth. Do not touch the root, since damaging it could prevent the tooth from being replanted. Put the tooth back in the socket if you can; if you can’t place it in a container of milk and call us immediately or head directly to Smile Workshop our office or the emergency room if it’s after hours.
Do I need to book an appointment for emergency care?
You don’t need to book an appointment, but it is a good idea to call the office before coming in. That’s for two reasons:
- If you have a very serious issue that needs immediate care, calling us ahead of time means we can be ready for you when you arrive so delays are avoided. In some cases, we might even recommend heading right to the emergency room.
- Some issues don’t require same-day care. Calling ahead enables us to assess your problem and schedule you for the next available appointment, while also providing you with the guidance you need to relieve pain and other symptoms until you come in.
Of course, if you have a dental emergency and you can’t call, you should come to Smile Workshop our office right away for an evaluation. If your emergency occurs outside of regular hours and you aren’t able to call us, heading to a local emergency room is the best option.
Avoiding dental emergencies
While you can’t always avoid an emergency, you might be able to reduce your risks of tooth damage. How? By keeping your teeth healthy. Regular brushing, flossing and routine trips to the dentist will keep your teeth strong so they’re not damaged as easily. If you play sports, wear a mouth guard designed for your sport and fitted for your mouth. And if you do have a dental emergency, call Smile Workshop immediately at 1-888-833-8404 for care instructions tailored to your needs.