Cavities are one of the nation’s leading health issues, and it is important to prevent cavities with everyday oral health habits. As your local dentist, Smile Workshop Hurst has the low down on how to keep your teeth healthy and reduce your risk of cavities:
How a Cavity Occurs
Sugary foods and drinks leave a film over your teeth called plaque. When you do not brush and floss properly, plaque can build and harden onto your teeth. Acids found in plaque will slowly eat away at the enamel, or protective coating on your teeth, allowing bacteria to enter the tooth. This bacteria can infect the insides of the tooth, irritating nerves and causing pain and sensitivity. Essentially, the tooth is infected from the inside out.
Tips to Prevent Cavities
- Brushing frequently is the best way to prevent cavities. Brushing after every meal is ideal, so bringing a portable toothbrush to the office can be a great idea to keep your teeth healthy.
- Mouthwash is a great way to rinse out the nooks and crannies your toothbrush may not be able to reach. Choose a mouthwash that contains fluoride and swish it around in your mouth after brushing.
- Eating sugary snacks is the quickest way to build plaque, so cutting out sweets is a great way to prevent cavities. Rather than a cookie or cake, have some fruit to satisfy that sweet tooth without damaging your teeth.
- Sugar-free chewing gum is a great way to prevent cavities. Chew some after each meal to increase saliva production and un-stick some sugar from your teeth. Plus, it’ll keep your breath smelling minty fresh!
- Replacing bottled water with tap water will actually help fight cavities. Tap water usually has fluoride added to it that bottled water doesn’t, so drinking tap is actually better for your teeth.
- Most cavities occur near the back of the mouth on molars where your brush may have trouble reaching. Your local dentist can cover these teeth with sealants, or plastic covers that prevent plaque from building where you can’t brush.
Smile Workshop can guide you to a healthy and cavity-free mouth. Call Smile Workshop Hurst or schedule an appointment online today!
Image from Thinkstock by Getty Images. Item Number: 517374622