[:en]Did you know October is National Dental Hygiene Month? There is no better time to focus on the top tips for a healthier smile than now. Sure you may be brushing, flossing and sticking to your regular dental routine, but sometimes you may be cutting corners without realizing it. Even if you don’t know, your smile definitely does. As your local dentist, Smile Workshop Pinnacle Park has plenty of tips to keeping a happy smile, especially during National Dental Hygiene Month:
Brush like a Pro
- Brushing is a no-brainer, but are you following the proper techniques and avoiding the 5 common toothbrush mistakes too many people make? Be sure you are brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes with a soft-bristled brush following these steps:
- Start with your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short strokes
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of your teeth
- For your front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes
- Finish by brushing your tongue to remove bacteria and breathe fresh
Your Loss If You Don’t Floss
Along with brushing twice a day, the ADA recommends cleaning between your teeth once a day to remove plaque in the hard-to-reach places that your toothbrush can’t reach. To make sure you’re flossing properly, follow these steps:
- Remove about a foot and a half of floss from the dispenser
- Gently wrap the floss around one of your index or middle fingers
- Wrap the opposite end of the floss around a finger on your other hand
- Pull the floss tight between each hand
- Insert the floss between two teeth
- Move the floss up and down against the tooth
- Remove the floss from the teeth
- Repeat for each tooth
- Rinse mouth thoroughly with mouthwash
Follow A Tooth-Friendly Diet
Keep your mouth smiling by incorporating food items that will help your teeth thrive. Try eating foods such as crunchy fruits and veggies, nuts, cheese and even onions. These items will help your mouth by clearing away nasty bacteria, which plaque and tartar love.
For drinks, opt for water and limit stain-friendly beverages such as coffee and wine.Highly acidic and sugary drinks like soda, fruit juices and sports drinks can also stain your teeth.
If You Must Chew On Something, Chew on Sugarless Gum
Avoid ice and anything tobacco-related as these items can seriously damage your teeth and gums. Studies have found that chewing sugarless gum has significant benefits, especially after meals as it helps stimulate saliva. This helps neutralize bacteria that comes from eating food.
When Was The Last Time You Saw Your Dentist?
We all know the rule of thumb is to come in every six months for regular dental cleanings but do you know why it’s so important? Seeing your dentist consistently can save you from a lot of hurt in the future. Regular cleanings and checkups will help keep your teeth clean and alert your dentist to problems before they become more severe. At Smile Workshop Pinnacle Park, we even offer Saturday hours in case you can’t get away from your work-week grind.
If you haven’t been following these tips, start incorporating these into your dental hygiene routine today for a happier, healthier smile. Want to learn more about how to celebrate dental hygiene month? Give us a call or schedule an appointment today for more tips.
Image from Thinkstock by Getty Images. Item Number 848721104[:]