October is dental hygiene month and your local dentists at Smile Workshop thought it would be a good idea to list the top five tips for a healthier smile in celebration! Many people brush and floss as part of a regular dental care routine, but you may be cutting corners without realizing it. Take the time to read through our tips for the best ways to take care of your smile throughout dental hygiene month and all year long.
1. Brushing With Good Form
Plenty of people understand they need to brush their teeth twice a day, but many do not know the proper brushing technique. Review these steps to make sure you are spending at least two minutes on your teeth each time you brush.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
2. Floss Like a Boss
Along with brushing twice a day, the ADA recommends cleaning between your teeth once a day to remove plaque in the hard-to-reach places that your toothbrush can’t reach. Follow these steps to making the most out of your flossing.
- Remove about a foot and a half of floss from the dispenser
- Gently wrap the floss around one of your index or middle fingers
- Wrap the opposite end of the floss around a finger on your other hand
- Pull the floss tight between each hand
- Insert the floss between two teeth
- Move the floss up and down against the tooth
- Remove the floss from the teeth
- Repeat for each tooth
- Rinse mouth thoroughly with mouthwash
3. Your Diet Affects Your Dental Health
What you eat has an impact on your dental hygiene and health. Keep your teeth thriving by eating foods like crunchy fruits and veggies, nuts, cheese or even onions. These items will help your mouth by clearing away nasty bacteria, which plaque and tartar love.
Opt for water and limit stain-friendly beverages such as coffee and wine when you have something to drink. Highly acidic and sugary drinks like soda, fruit juices and sports drinks can stain your teeth so take care to monitor their use.
4. Watch What You Chew On
Avoid ice and all tobacco-related items as these can seriously damage your teeth and gums. Studies have found that chewing sugarless gum has significant benefits, especially after meals. It helps stimulate saliva which helps neutralize bacteria that appears after eating.
5. Make Sure to Visit Your Local Dentist
You might know that you should come in for regular dental cleanings every six months but do you know why it’s so important? Seeing your local dentist consistently is like getting a physical. It can alert your dentist to problems before they become more severe. Regular cleanings and checkups will also keep your teeth clean.
Smile Workshop cares about your dental health. Incorporating these tips into your dental hygiene routine will make for a happier, healthier smile. If you want to learn more about how to celebrate dental hygiene month give us a call or schedule an appointment today.
Image from Getty Images. Item Number: 891450972